Los Angeles Pacific University Granted Regional Accreditation
The Western Association of Schools and Colleges’ Senior Colleges and Universities Commission (WSCUC) today officially notified the Board of Trustees and executive leadership that the division formerly known as University College at Azusa Pacific University has been granted initial accreditation as Los Angeles Pacific University (LAPU).
Today’s commission action represents the successful outcome of an exhaustive self-study and reporting process, culminating in an intensive site visit by members of the commission in November 2017. In particular, the commission’s action letter commended LAPU for:
- “A clear statement of purpose that reflects the institution’s values in every aspect of the institution. LAPU demonstrates a culture of collaboration and mutual learning throughout the community, drawing and learning from each other’s expertise.”
- “Daily practices that evidence shared commitment to providing an education designed to meet the needs of adult students, the majority of whom are either seeking to advance in their chosen field or preparing to switch fields.”
- “Significant progress in developing ways to measure both persistence and retention and also progress toward a degree.”
- “Providing a rich faith-based experience.”
- “Attaining financial equilibrium and the promise of sustainability.”
WSCUC also provided the university with a list of recommendations that will be reexamined during a reaffirmation review in spring of 2023.
“This accomplishment is shared by all our faculty, staff, and administration who are working so diligently to provide a high-quality, Christ-centered higher education to our adult student population,” said Dr. John Reynolds, chancellor of University College. “This moment represents both a milestone that affirms our achievements to-date, as well as the launching point of a new future as Los Angeles Pacific University.”
The announcement triggers the beginning of the official transition of University College to Los Angeles Pacific University. In the weeks and months to come, a series of communications will keep students, staff, and faculty informed about the transition. The university plans to begin offering courses as Los Angeles Pacific University in the Fall semester of 2018.