Commitment to Faith, Life, and Learning
Los Angeles Pacific University teaches and serves from a Christian worldview through a holistic understanding and practice of promoting faith, life, and learning. We believe the entire LAPU community is called to contribute to cultivating hope through learning and we accomplish this through our core values of being Exemplary, Caring, and focused on Learning. We are committed to preparing individuals not only with the skills and attitudes to thrive in their community and workplace, but also to point the way to something bigger — to the ultimate hope that is in Jesus Christ.
As it relates to students, LAPU conceives the promotion of faith, life, and learning as engaging students in learning (through curriculum design, instruction, and student support) that reflects the Christian worldview of LAPU and culminates in the realization of hope in our students. As a result of this process (through their interactions and study at LAPU) our students will be able to:
- apply a Christian worldview to their life and work in the world;
- articulate how and in what ways their life journeys connect to God’s story;
- engage with diverse faith perspectives within the learning community at LAPU; and,
- recognize God’s work in the world through all academic disciplines.
Learn more about Faith, Life, and Learning at LAPU.
The precious freedom to express our religious tenets is recognized by the United States and California Constitutions. Other federal and state laws likewise support the opportunity for Los Angeles Pacific University and other religious higher education institutions to weave religious beliefs into all aspects of university life. For example, exemptions in Title IX (20 U.S.C. section 1681(a)(3)) and the California Equity in Higher Education Act (Cal. Ed. Code section 66271) support Los Angeles Pacific’s efforts to operate consistently with its religious tenets by maintaining faith-based standards of behaviors that all community members voluntarily agree to follow as a condition of living and learning in our community. These laws provide Los Angeles Pacific and other religious institutions with the discretion to thoughtfully make policies and build community expectations around our mission to advance the work of God in the world through academic excellence and to help students develop a Christian perspective on truth and life.
Statement of Faith
As an educational institution with a Wesleyan tradition at its core, it seems natural to us to embrace a statement of faith that is common among many Christian traditions.
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, creator of heaven and earth, eternally existent in three persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, and in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return to power and glory.
- We believe in the fall and consequent total moral depravity of humanity, resulting in our exceeding sinfulness and lost estate, and necessitating our regeneration by the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the present and continuing ministry of sanctification by the Holy Spirit by whose infilling the believing Christian is cleansed and empowered for a life of holiness and service.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; those who are saved to the resurrection of life and those who are lost to the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.