Commencement Ceremony Participation
- All children under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult during the ceremony.
- No alcohol (including alcohol leis) or controlled substances will be permitted at LAPU commencement ceremonies nor any commencement-related receptions or events.
- No persons under the influence of alcohol or any other controlled substance will be permitted at LAPU ceremonies or any commencement-related receptions or events.
- No comfort or emotional support animals will be allowed into LAPU ceremonies or any commencement-related receptions or events. See LAPU’s Commencement web page for further information regarding service animals.
- All caps (mortarboards) and gowns must be LAPU-approved for all commencement ceremonies. All cords and medallions must be from organizations or honors officially recognized by LAPU.
- Clothing and adornments (e.g., hats, leis) must not be politically charged and must not use profanity or discriminatory language.
- LAPU is not responsible for any damage or loss to personal property.
- Anything perceived as a weapon must not be carried or worn.
- Purses, backpacks, or other large personal items must not be carried by graduates.
- No noisemakers, confetti, or pyrotechnic devices will be permitted and may not be used in the commencement venue.
- No balloons are permitted into any LAPU commencement ceremonies.
- No items (food products, beach balls, etc.) shall be thrown at any time in the commencement venue.
- Graduates must wear the approved LAPU mortarboard or tam. No other hat or head adornment may be worn (e.g., baseball cap).
- Personal décor on LAPU-approved caps (mortarboards) is allowed within the following parameters:
- Caps must not contain any offensive language or the perception that offensive language is being used.
- Décor must not hang over any part of the board.
- Décor must not dangle down from the top of the mortarboard and/or obstruct the person’s head, face, view of the person, or the view of others in any way.
- Cap décor must not contain any political figures or political language promoting a personal opinion on political issues.
Graduates must wear the approved LAPU gowns and abide by the following guidelines:
- Gowns must extend beyond the knee.
- Clothing must be worn under the approved LAPU gown.
- Gowns must be completely zipped up before lining up to walk across the stage.
- No decoration may be added to the approved LAPU gown.
- No accessory or clothing may be added to the approved LAPU gown (beyond the approved cords).
- All cords and medallions must be from organizations or honors officially recognized by LAPU.
- Military who are current active duty personnel may wear their uniform in lieu of LAPU approved commencement regalia.
- Stoles include small pockets for cell phones, keys, etc. LAPU is not responsible for any damage or loss to personal property.